Letter of Introduction

Dear Ms. Davidow,

I am excited to introduce myself to you and give you an idea of my background and interest as much as possible. This is my 1st year at CCNY and I’m looking forward to getting to know you and your class Writing for Engineering.

I am born and raised in Flatbush, Brooklyn and I am an only child. I am first generation American; both of my parents are from the West Indies. My father is Jamaican, and my mother is St.Luican and Guyanese. Throughout my childhood and my teen years, both of my parents went to college and medical school and graduated at the same time I graduated high school!

Growing up I was an extreme bookworm, and I was also very athletic due to my parents both being high school athletes. I used to excel in English, history, and math. I could have done better in science, but I never had a keen for it because we used to examine animals and I was afraid of them.

I always had a love for extracurricular activities, I gained so many friends. Well, it’s always been easy for me because I’m extremely outgoing! I was on the track team, volleyball team, newspaper, and design club! All these clubs shaped me into the person I am now. It’s also the main reason why I continue going to the gym which is one of my favorite hobbies. I love working on my arms and legs so I can get that summer body and just for my personal health.

Well, personally I wouldn’t consider Computer Science a part of engineering because in my humble opinion, it’s barely dapped in engineering. They share certain elements but overall, I wouldn’t say they are the same. Nevertheless, I love it regardless. I got introduced to Computer Science in the 6th grade by my science teacher Ruth Mesfun ( who now works at Google, such a sweet person). She taught me the fundamentals of cs and she had faith in me. She also brought us on a tour of Facebook’s office in Manhattan. From that day on I knew I wanted to be in that industry. My main interest is mainly UI/UX design and the design aspect of websites and their impacts on lower-income populations.

My dream for the future is to buy my parents a house. They deserve it. They worked so much for me. They came here with 50 cents in their pockets and just dreams. I love them.

What I’d really like to learn this semester is how to handle the madness outside of my room.

Sincerely,

Megan Golding